- US stocks finish higher after a late flurryon June 11, 2021 at 8:03 pm
Closing changes for the main equity markets On the day: - S&P 500 +8 to 4247 (+0.2%) - Nasdaq +0.35% - DJIA flat - TSX Comp +0.4% On the week: It's make-or-break time for the Nasdaq:
- CFTC Commitments of Traders: A bit of a risk off toneon June 11, 2021 at 7:38 pm
Weekly US futures positioning data for the week ending June 11, 2021: The main move was in buying the yen and selling the Australian dollar. That's a classic risk off trade and reflects the apprehension in broader markets.
- WTI crude prices settle at the highest since 2018, just shy of $71 per barrelon June 11, 2021 at 6:41 pm
Oil prices continue to sizzle but Saturday's Iran meetings are a big risk WTI crude oil rose 61-cents to $70.91 today and finished the week up 1.8% after a minor stumble on Monday.
- Boris Johnson to delay lockdown lift for a monthon June 11, 2021 at 5:53 pm
Rising UK cases lead to delay reopening The UK has reported 7200 cases in each of the past two days -- the highest since February. A reopening delay has been speculated on for the past two weeks and now there are multiple that it will be pushed back until July 19.
- Baker Hughes oil rig count 365 vs 359 last weekon June 11, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Bakers Hughes rig count. - Oil rigs 365 versus 359 last week - Gas rigs 96 versus 97 last week - Total rigs 461 versus 456 last week Although higher, the reluctance to take rigs up to levels seen before the pandemic have been slow despite the rise back higher in crude oil prices.
- UMich June prelim consumer sentiment 86.4 vs 84.4 expectedon June 11, 2021 at 2:00 pm
UMich consumer sentiment data The rise in the expectations component along with falling inflation expectations is a true goldilocks scenario and exactly what the Fed wants to see.
- Iran nuclear talks to resume on Saturdayon June 11, 2021 at 1:56 pm
Talks will resume in Vienna The early word was that talks would resume next week but that's been bumped up to Saturday, according to an EU . statement That raises weekend risks for the oil market. Yesterday's price action certainly showed some concern about a deal, with prices falling $1 and then rebounding when it was only one
- US dollar continues to extend gains. AUD/USD setting up for outside dayon June 11, 2021 at 1:52 pm
US dollar continues the march high AUD/USD touched the highest since May 25 today but is now below yesterday's low, forming a bearish outside candle on the chart.